Future of photography - DSMC Digital Stills Motion Camera
I accept a distress for photography. Capturing enjoyable high-quality photos and videos is a positive comfort for me.
I part pride whenever I coin something beautiful, and I'm able to labourer it with the heavenly body or acquire it printed and hang it on a wall, and then capture encouraging comments approximately it.
I don't need to turn this into a spread out story, so I'll incision equitable to the chase.
I'm looking for a first-class DSMC at a "normal" price. A camera that captures video, where everyone frame of that video can be considered bad sufficiently to be a fat even drawing on its own.
That is the prospect of photography, and that's where the production is headed.
(This shorten was updated on 2012-04-25):
Some companies retain already taken steps in that direction, such as RED Digital Cinema, with their EPIC and Scarlet cameras.
Canon has extremely revealed a impending thought of a DSMC a while back (info here), with a magnitude that most would treasure comfortable to bring along with them. Even it's all the more a consideration and oldness outside from activity sold to us mere mortals. Canon and recently introduced the C500 digital video camera. And Sony has dispassionate introduced their FS700 digital video camera.
But those are all above the budget of most citizens for the camera oppose alone.
THIS IS In truth Critical (This abbreviate was updated on 2012-01-04): I allow for the consequent specs to be rather reasonable, and can be achieved with now technology (as of Jan 2012) by any one of the comprehensive camera manufacturers: RED, Sony, Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Panasonic, Sigma.
Here's my hunger dossier for such a DSMC:
Sensor: (This intersect was updated on 2012-04-25)
9.33MP x3 Foveon CMOS sensor (full color double sensor).
36 x 18mm (2:1 ratio), which mode it has a diagonal of 1.585 inches. It's extensive - larger than the Canon 1D Mk4's APS-H sensor and RED's MX sensor, however not as exorbitant as a Entire Frame sensor.
Thus, the crop baggage is 1.33:1
Maximum resolution: 4320 x 2160. That's deeper than 9MP recorded on each layer.
Dynamic Range/Latitude: 15 stops (-7.5 to +7.5 stops). Not yet desideratum for HDR with this still latitude.
Lens: (This chop was updated on 2012-01-26)
Every pro knows - The lens is half the picture.
No call for to bother with carrying additional lenses, exposing the sensor to dust particles, finding an adapter for a deviating mount, etc. The doctrine of a constant lens might sound terrible to many, on the other hand those in the calling understand that not all copies are created equal, and it's absolutely tough to pride a acceptable lens+camera combo.
We extremity honorable one superb lens that can fit nearly all situations, and has to collapse as all the more as possible. Here's the evident work - the lens is matched to the sensor and camera-body in the works for peak results.
- Fixed (Non-interchangeable) Stabilized and Motorized x10 optical rocket lens: 18-180mm, f/1.4 throughout the fly range. The AF and flash engine are silent.
- Since the sensor has a 1.33 crop factor, the 35mm equivalent focal length is 24 - 240mm.
- Minimum focusing distance: 300mm. Fascinating into bill that the distance from the front component of the glass to the sensor is about 150mm, that gives us 150mm from front of camera to subject.
- Min Aperture: f/22. Intermediate options should be: f/1.8, f/2.0, f/2.8, f/3.5, f/5.6, f/6.3, f/8.0, f/11.0, f/16.0, f/22.0
- The front element of the lens should be about 180 / 1.4 = 128.6mm. Add the outer shell of the lens, and it gets to about 135mm in thickness - slightly aggrandized than the heighth of the camera body.
- I expect this category of lens to be copious and heavy, nevertheless I don't in reality care.
Exposure Settings: (This cut was updated on 2011-08-23)
The camera must keep Full-Auto in appendix to Programed Exposure, Aperture-priority, Shutter-priority & Filled Guide (PASM modes).
The ISO span for stills should be: 64, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, 12800, 25600
The ISO radius for video should be: 80, 160, 320, 640, 1280, 2560, 5120, 10240, 20480 (turns absent that multiples of 160 generate less noisy video footage). Please prerrogative me provided I'm wrong.
Shutter: (This decrease was updated on 2011-10-13)
60 sec to 1/8000 (with an long reach of intermediate settings).
At 1/8000 you can virtually freeze any course and influence a sharp angel of a quick stirring subject.
With a high exposure of up to 60 sec, you can pay for artistic results for bedtime shots.
To acquire rid of the "jello effect", a global shutter should be used.
For stills, the shutter click should be kept quiet.
Video: (This reduce was updated on 2012-10-20)
- 4K 2:1 ( 4320x2160p) @ 72fps @ 12bit CinemaDNG Unprepared @ 5:1 compression = 192 MByte/s
Other viable frame rates: 60, 50, 48, 30, 25, 24, 12
- 4K 16:9 (3840x2160p) @ 72fps @ 12bit CinemaDNG Coarse @ 5:1 compression = 171 MByte/s
Other frame rates: 60, 50, 48, 30, 25, 24, 12
- 2048x1152p @ 60fps @ 4:2:2 sampling (10 bit) @ 70mbps All-I compression.
- 1920x1080p @ 72fps @ 4:2:2 sampling (10 bit) @ 70mbps All-I compression.
- 1280x720p @ 120fps @ 4:2:2 sampling (10 bit) @ 70mbps All-I compression.
Just for reference - the 4K 2:1 @ 72 fps allows video vinyl of roughly 10 minutes on a 120GB SSD.
RAW video can besides be output to an apparent recorder via Thunderbolt (which looks adore miniDP).
I be informed the pros don't approximative HDMI for its flimsy connector. I very sense they bring about cherish HD-SDI for its sturdy BNC connector.
But I liking Thunderbolt/miniDP better, and I expect it's got abundant potential. I fear why in fashion TVs and Receivers don't hog DisplayPort yet.
Very Important: Optical dive can be used while shooting video, duplicate as in stills.
Shutter, Aperture & ISO (gain) can further be changed during video shooting.
Select Media / Recall card (This incision was updated on 2011-06-16) :
Battery Pack: (This divide was updated on 2011-06-10) :
Removable 11.1V 2800mAh (31Wh) Li-Polimer should be congenial enough to extreme a extensive age of shooting. Camera will be supplied with two 31Wh batteries and a dual-slot Battery charger.
LCD with Multi-Touch & Multi-angle (This section was updated on 2012-01-26) :
A resolution of 1200x800 should be attainable, which is exceeding than all ongoing DSLRs/mirrorless.
1200x800x3 = 2,880,000 dots.
The LCD can be rotated in all instructions - tilted up, down, left or hold water - and lock tightly at the exact angle you thirst it to.
The LCD should posses super blacks, be readable in asperous sunlight while much attention great contrast. An LCD Hood will be if with the camera.
The LCD should carry at least 2-finger touch, and device touch-focus.
The LCD must be beneficial enough so that we can avoid using a view-finder as even as possible.
A view-finder is bare limiting, as it needs to be up lasting to your eye, and can't deliver you the flexibility to be in fact creative.
Stills Formats (This section was updated on 2012-01-04) : :
- JPG EXIF 2.3 (with also low compression)
- Adobe DNG, 16-bit
- Microsoft HD-Photo (JPEG-XR) - A format that I esteem should corner been adopted elongate ago.
- Color-space options: sRGB, Adobe RGB, Adobe Wide-Gamut RGB
I seriously wish augmented manufacturers would proposal the Adobe Wide-Gamut RGB color-space, which covers 77.6% of all humanly visible colours (sRGB covers Particular 35%).
It is a besides fine color-space with a dwarf distort in relation to reds, oranges and yellows - which method bigger skin tones, among other benefits. I surely bright side LCDA Liquid Crystal Display is a flat panel display, electronic visual display, or video display that uses the light modulating properties of liquid crystals manufacturers would come from this trend as well. Would be a disgrace to appropriate a extensive photograph, but sole be able to peep half of its color richness.
Why not ProPhoto? ProPhoto extends beyond the visible colors into "imaginery colors". Whether we can't glare them ,there's no end of offering such a color-space.
- CinemaDNG. Video in RAW, Adobe style.
- MKV container for the H.264 compressed files.
Two (removable) protruding mics for stereo recording, with adjustable earnings control. Mics can be covered with a soft foam to chop wind noise.
The camera will besides add a digital wind-cut algorithm to extremely dampen the noise.
In addition, there will be a wireless stereo lapel mic included, with the wireless receiver built into the camera.
Optional Blaze unit via hot-shoe. The camera should gain dexterity to state outside flashes.
- USB3.0: to transfer our astounding stills and videos - quickly and easily. Can too be used to charge the batteryPortable Computer Batteries while it's yet inside the camera.
- 3.5mm stereo mic jack: For after-market mics, or attaching a wired shutter release.
- Thunderbolt port - twice the quickness of USB3.0. Chiefly for attaching a larger higher-res monitor.
- Built-in GPS and digital compass - tag footage with coordinates and direction.
- WLAN b/g/n - wireless footage transfer to computer. Further can be used to determination the camera via out device, such as a cellphone.
- BT3.0 - As well can be used to government the camera via exterior device, such as a cellphone/remote.
- WirelessHD - answer breathing video footage directly to goodly TV/monitor.
Performance Requirement (This section was updated on 2012-04-25) :
The processor, buffer & awareness should all be able to knob 4K 2:1@72fps@CinemaDNG Unfinished for at least 20min, without over-heating.
When shooting stills (DNG RAW, JPG, JPEG-XR), the camera should be able to handgrip 12fps until fame is full. AGAIN, without over-heating.
Start-up epoch should be less than 0.7 second, from the second you turn the camera on to the mo it's ready to shoot.
Car Focus: (This section was updated on 2012-05-23)
51 AF points, all cross-type (sensitive both in the vertical and horizontal axis).
7 of these points are again diagonally touchy (at f/3.5 or brighter).
Customizable subject-tracking options.
The AF rapidity should be at least 1/100 sec (0.01sec) between consecutive still shots.
Filters: (This section was added on 2011-06-16)
Four filters will be bundled with the camera, which can be attached to the front of the lens (and combined):
- 0.3-2.0 gradual ND filter, with compacted stops (yet with no audible clicks)
- Linear Polarizing filter
- Circular Polarizing filter
- UV filter - blocks UV luminous and protects the lens, without harming the visible light.
This is the critical point. How complete you move all the above requirements into the smallest immensity possible?
You admit to accomodate the sensor, the LCD, the internal memory, the processor, the fixed lens, the battery, the ports... plus all the controls and buttons. Not an cinch feat!
After thinking about it enlarged and hard, I came up with the following: 150mm x 100mm x 200mm (Width x Height x Depth). The profundity includes the lens, of course. Height does not build in mics/flash unit.
I don't presume the DSMC can be any smaller than that, at least with happening technology.
Yes, these immensity beget for entirely a doozer camera, but that's what happens when you striving to cram in as diverse features as possible.
There should be two grips and two shutter buttons, on either side of the camera. Left-handed folks should be delighted with that.
There's no cutting corners here. The camera protest and lens must be heavy-duty, weather-sealed, and ready for any job.
So Magnesium-Alloy comes to mind. But I'd rather require to scrutinize how Titanium or Carbon-fibre can grip this chore.
The Claret Legend is a commendable case history of a high-standard fabricate quality.
Mission Bill (This section was updated on 2011-06-16) :
$3800. I consider it's about correct (It's in truth largely a bargain when you consult that monumental spec).
So that's about it. I dream I covered all angles and I indeed expectancy that someone at RED/Canon/Nikon/Sony, etc...will peruse this and pass it on to their R&D crew.
Hope this was an arresting read.
Permalink | Leave a letter »